Will "Visual Studio for mac" (aka Xamarin Studio re-branded) be a fork?

Will “Visual Studio for mac” (aka Xamarin Studio re-branded) be a fork of “Xamarin Studio” or will the name just change?

.NET has a history of being fragmented (my guess is marketing). This causes a pain for developers who actually work on the tools and slows down progress for everyone at the end of the day. Needless fragmentation is something to avoid as it cost money and time.

My hope is this is just a name change and not a folk that will go down its own path.

Looks like this might be answered tomorrow: QUOTE: “You’ll get to download a preview edition of Visual Studio for Mac sometime during Microsoft’s Connect()”

As I understand it based on information from Connect, VS for Mac is a combination of code from Xamarin Studio and code from VS/VS Code. So it’s more than just Xamarin Studio rebranded, but it is its successor.

I don’t see how would it cause fragmentation, since all three versions of VS will use msbuild for .Net projects, which should make them compatible with each other.

It wont cause fragmentation because it will replace Xamarin Studio. My fear this wasn’t the case.
Sounds like its a good step forward.

It is an evolution.

It is made up of a few things: MonoDevelop (the IDE core, the same core that powers “Xamarin Studio”), the Xamarin extensions, the VS branding and new code that has not shipped in MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio before.

Our web site goes into some of the details of what is new that is not currently present in Xamarin Studio:

https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/vs-mac/preview/vs-mac-preview1

That said, there are various streams of work happening right now that are coming together. Some open source (those will go on to MonoDevelop), some proprietary (those will only be available in Visual Studio Mac).

We will share with the world more details about those features as they start to land. It is taking all my energy to not share them here just yet.

Miguel

What I would really like is a unified extension api between the IDEs, so that I’ll be able to author an IDE addin and have it available on both VS and VS Mac (assuming I’m not using any IDE exclusive feature), I hope that’s in the plans.

Will we have a version of Visual Studio for Linux ? I think that is possible to re-compile for Linux if we take in consideration that is based on Xamarin IDE.

Will we have a version of Visual Studio for Linux ? I think that is possible to re-compile for Linux if we take in consideration that is based on Xamarin IDE.

It would be nice to have the Android / Tizen peaces work on Linux (Tizen is GNU Linux anyway). From my understanding this is probably possible (at least with Android) BUT because its not “officially” supported my MS / XM teams it would just work under the label / core of MonoDevelop and support would need to be added / ported by the community.

Also as they said in Connect, they’re focused on making the macOS version right now even if other possibilities open up.

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct