What will happen, after Microsoft withdraws its financing?

It took the Titanic to get enough life boats on passenger ships. It seems that the Oracle Java patent/copyright trolling (the Google versus Oracle case) got us the .NET foundation that tries to hold the C# intellectual property so that when Microsoft starts to go bankrupt, the C# intellectual property is not sold to some “Oracle”. However, the Microsoft financed SCO case demonstrates that even, if the trolls do not have the intellectual property at their hands, it really takes a budget to defend a technology against trolls. Add to that the development costs and the term “development burn rate” comes into play.

Currently it seems to me that the .NET echo-system is financed mainly, if not only, by Microsoft. If the Microsoft is going to be some “new Nokia” or its management has a change of heart about the C# ecosystem, then who is the party, who has the business incentive to finance the development of the updates that are necessary to customize the C# ecosystem to work on the newest versions of various operating systems?

As a full disclosure, I say it out directly that I have a personal history with Microsoft.

I think we are in safe hands because other big companies are joining .net foundation. RedHat, Unity , Jet Brains and very recently Samsung joined .Net foundation.
Samsung is investing in the .Net run time already. If you check dotnet/coreclr github repository and check commits for linux arm support all are coming from Samsung engineers. Also even google is contributing to .net core although they have not officially joined .net foundation.

So in my opinion many companies will happily pick .Net and its large user base if Microsoft made the blunder of abandoning it.

Thank You for Your answer.

I did not expect such a good, truly reassuring, answer. If what You say is true, then from patent-trolling perspective and financing perspective the C# is in truly safe hands indeed. What regards to the Government induced back-doors, then only a truly stupid Government would like their own business software to be backdoored, so at least in Europe that will not be an issue.

The emphasis is on the phrase, “in Europe”, because the idiots in NSA knowledgeably allowed the U.S. Government to use weakened crypto and the U.S. Parliament is like a bunch of lambs, who just take it in stead of enforcing themselves. Even after the CIA got caught at intervening with the work of the Parliament team that was supposed to overlook them, the reaction from the U.S. Parliament is practically absent. So, in that sense, one still needs to be alert to Government back doors, but at least the goons can not demand back doors with a straight face. The U.S. corporation that gets some secret FBI demand to install something can just give an anonymous hint to partners in Europe, who then “discover by accident” a security flaw inducing “bug” and that’s the end of that back door, not to mention that source code diffs reveal, what source code region gets changed by the party that tends to introduce those “bugs” the most.

Looks promising indeed. Thank You. :slight_smile:

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct