Troubleshooting WPF/C # Sharp Desktop Application

I had a desktop application in Windows Foundation created in C sharp that automates the completion of online forms. It utilizes data from my Microsoft access database to complete these online forms. The application is now failing and the developer is no longer interested in helping me. I have spoken with several developers who looked at it and thought the code had problems, were unsure of why it has stopped working, and basically could promise not more than hour of hourly work to go through it all again. Though I am not a programmer, I am not willing to pay a developer to re-write and/or tell me the problem is the prior developer. And I really do need to know and understand the code going forward, so I want to troubleshoot it myself.

I suspect that the code is failing because the online form names have changed, and because there is a new Terms of Service page with a required checkbox. I have located an xml file that defines the forms, and do find that forms names are no longer correct. I have corrected those form names, and added the TOS form, but i get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at FormSubmitter.FormReader.ReadForm(String formName)
at FormSubmitter.MainWindow.ReadAllForms(Boolean confirmSubmit)
at FormSubmitter.MainWindow.d__12.MoveNext()
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at FormSubmitter.FormReader.ReadForm(String formName)
at FormSubmitter.MainWindow.ReadAllForms(Boolean confirmSubmit)
at FormSubmitter.MainWindow.d__12.MoveNext()

“FormSubmitter” is a defined namespace in the main xaml.cs file. I don’t know how to go about troubleshooting this thing!.. Thanks.

Put a breakpoint here: FormSubmitter.MainWindow.ReadAllForms(Boolean confirmSubmit)
Then single step into routine until you get here: FormSubmitter.FormReader.ReadForm(String formName) First find out which is null (probably formreader) then look into code where it should be initialized.

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct