Rejected PR ... do I still own the content? ... or can I own it?

Hi,

I’ve just been informed that a full doc PR that I submitted is going to be completely rejected. Can I maintain ownership of the content? I’d like to publish my doc on a 3rd party blog site, but I can’t do that if merely submitting the PR makes you (the .NET Foundation) the permanent owner. … or can I ask another way if that’s the case … Would you mind releasing the content of my doc to me after Rick Anderson rejects the PR (he will do shortly) if you do own it now so that I can publish it elsewhere?

RE: https://github.com/aspnet/Docs/pull/894

Thanks,

Luke

Ah … I found the agreement and the license terms …

"a. Copyright License. You grant .NET Foundation, and those who receive the Submission directly
or indirectly from .NET Foundation, a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable
license in the Submission to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform,
and distribute the Submission and such derivative works, and to sublicense any or all of the foregoing
rights to third parties. "

Since it’s a “non-exclusive” license, I can still publish it so long as it’s under a non-exclusive copyright wherever it appears. Is that correct?

You totally own all your contributions and can do what you want with them. As you say, when you sign the Contribution License Agreement you are letting the project use your contribution but it’s still yours.

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct