Rebirth of Silverlight?

In Immo Landswerth’s 2/10/2016 blog about porting applications to .Net Core, he makes this statement about good candidates for porting to .Net Core:

In fact, any Silverlight app should be a good candidate because the API set is heavily based on what was available in Silverlight: most APIs are either available in .NET Core or became WinRT APIs, in which case you often get way with minor touch-ups, such as changing the namespace. In fact, there is a even a bridge that helps with this conversion.

Now, I’m hoping for some feedback to make sure I’m understanding him correctly. It seems to me that if Silverlight apps are good candidates for porting to .Net Core, then Silverlight would also be a good candidate for creating new apps as well.

Is there some reason why that conclusion is not valid?

Now, just to be clear, I am referring to an Out-Of-Browser application using the sllauncher.exe. If a version of sllauncher.exe were written for Android and iOS, and you converted your Silverlight app to .Net Core, would you then have a cross-platform application?

That all sounds logical enough, but it won’t happen. Silverlight doesn’t have System.Runtime. I’ve already tried using .NET Standard libraries in Silverlight but they don’t work. Microsoft won’t touch Silverlight with a 10 foot pole.

More importantly, .NET Core does not yet have a Xaml based graphics library like Silverlight, WPF, or UWP. However, there is this up and comer:

I’m very interested to see where it goes.

It’s all so ironic considering that Silverlight was the perfect cross platform solution. I mean Silverlight still runs on Mac!

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct