"Packages cannot be authenticated" while installing on Linux

When installing on linux, using the updated guide I get the following warning:

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  dotnet
Install these packages without verification? [y/N]

Yes, I have imported the key successfully on the step 1. What could be the reason for this?

I don’t think those .deb packages are ready yet. They have problems that is why i think they are not announced publicly yet.

Can you send a link to “updated guide” you referenced? That would help.

I referenced the official guide - https://dotnet.github.io/getting-started/. The previous guide is removed, so I think we can say that the package is released.
The slogan on the top “It is very easy to get started with .NET Core on your platform of choice.” looks like a mockery now, at least for Linux.

@apeka i can’t repro this i am using trusty but i think you should log an issue here

Hi,

I just tried the exact instructions on the page on a brand new Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17 VMs and I cannot repro this behavior. On both machines everything went well, and I was not prompted that packages cannot be authenticated.

Can you give us some more info? What is the version of Ubuntu you are using? Did the key import properly?

Thanks!

Hi,

I reproduced it on Ubuntu 15.10 - seems like it’s not reproducible on current LTS (14.04) and it’s derivatives.

Define “properly”? As I mentioned, key import was a sucess (can retry that). Guess I’ll follow the advice and report the issue.

Hi,

“Properly” as in there were no errors or anything. But, the problem you are seeing is due to using Ubuntu 15.10. We are already tracking that issue here: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/issues/308, so feel free to add your experience there.

I have updated the “Getting started” guide to include the info about the Ubuntu version as well, so thanks for rasing this issue!

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct