.Net Core support policy - which version to use?

Hi all,

This may be the wrong place for this - please let me know.

I’m looking at the official support policy for .Net Core : https://dotnet.microsoft.com/platform/support/policy/dotnet-core

I see that 2.1 is in ‘long-term support (LTS)’, while 2.2 is ‘Current’ - with support ending on Dec 23, 2019.

I also see that 3.0 is about to be released in ‘Current’, and 3.1 in a couple of months with ‘LTS’.

I’ve recently started work on a new project that’s scheduled to go to production in November. So I’m wondering what version to target.

2.1:

Pro: LTS

Con: Doesn’t have the newest features

2.2:

Pro: Current version

Con: Short support lifetime

3.0:

Pro: latest and greatest

Con: Not yet released, but should be on Monday.

Short support lifetime

3.1:

Pro: latest an greatest

LTS

Con: Not yet released

Released right around the time I'm going to prod

I don’t want to release a brand-new app that has support for less than a month after it goes live; I also don’t want to take the risk of a framework upgrade right at release date.

So what’s the official guidance on what to do here? What happens if I release something on 2.2 - how long do I have to upgrade?

I have an aggressive deadline, so I don’t have much time for framework issues; so I’m a little nervous about 3.0. But I won’t have time at the end of my release cycle to upgrade.

Thanks,

Phil

I can’t offer any official guidance, but as far as I can tell (mostly based on table from the page you linked to), you have two reasonable choices:

• Use 2.1. If you don’t need the latest features, support until August 2021 is enough for you and you’re willing to do more work in case you need to upgrade later on.
  • Use 3.x. 3.0 has already been released and you will have the time from November 2019 to February 2020 to upgrade to 3.1. The upgrade shouldn’t require much work, since it’s only a minor version change, and you will then be supported until November 2022.

Using 2.2 doesn’t make much sense to me: it’s supported only until December 2019, which means you will have to upgrade sooner than if you were using 3.0 and the upgrade is going to be more work, since it’s a major version change.

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct