I need my own GIT server with public access

I’m using Bonobo Git Server right now, but this software requires people to sign in to get access to any source code. But while Bonobo seems to allow anonymous access, visitors still have to register before they get access to my code.
Bonobo still requires users to first register before they can access a repository so I need a different solution that I can install on my own server. And it needs to be on my own server and not somewhere in the Cloud as I need full control over the content, site and everything else. (Especially because my server will filter access to it’s content.)
So, are there any alternatives for a Windows system?
Or else, is there any way to force Bonobo to accept anonymous access so visitors don’t need an username and password?

For Windows, I think the most obvious choices are Azure DevOps Server or GitHub Enterprise on Hyper-V.

GitLab might be another option. See https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/topics/git/how_to_install_git/#installing-git-on-windows-from-the-git-website

Bitbucket too. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/install-bitbucket-server-on-windows-867338403.html

1 Like

BitBucket isn’t free, unfortunately. I would prefer a free option. And I have bad experiences with Atlassian products, so that’s a no.
As for GitLab, they refer to Git itself for the installation. Not very useful. Git itself prefers to be on a Linux host, which I don’t want to use. Plus, according to https://about.gitlab.com/install/ they only support Linux and various Cloud Providers. Running it in Hyper-V is tricky as my server is just a simple mini-desktop as it’s not heavily used. But I need external guests to have anonymous access to some of the sources on my server. (For compliance with GPL for one of my projects…)
As for Azure DevOps… https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/devops/server/ tells me it’s expensive too. Well, it’s actually hard to tell how expensive as the site seems to bring me back to their Cloud services. Microsoft isn’t making it easy for me to avoid any Cloud solutions. (Besides, I’m trying to avoid Azure. Pricing in Azure is erratic at best.)

If you want it free or inexpensive, you might have to consider a linux server.

1 Like

So, just out of curiosity, why are you hosting your own server? Especially if you’re hosting an open source project. As opposed to using GitHub/GitLab as your host (or even just a mirror, come to that).

I already have my own GIT server as I use Bonobo right now. Most of these are my own Visual Studio projects but I’m working on a cross-platform project that includes an ESP8266 module with a GPL library. The GPL requires me to publish my modifications to it so I need someplace to share it. The rest of my code is still part of my private GIT environment and only shared with people I trust. (It’s not open source in general!)
So, having the ESP8266 code on GitHub with the rest on my local GIT server makes me depend on two servers. My own server is regularly backed up so if something happens to it, I just put up one of the backups.
And I don’t like to depend on external cloud services…

Yeah, I’m afraid of that too. I’d rather keep using Bonobo in that case. Annoying, but still not that bad.

Both GitHub/GitLab have private “team” repositories.

I believe the GPL only requires you make the code available upon request, and even then, only for the final version included in a publicly published/distributed release - that is, you don’t actually need to make the repository itself public. Although, yes, doing so is often the easiest way. (This isn’t taking into account something like merging your changes into master, at which point you no longer need your separate copy at all, nor would you be required to provide source upon request)

And of course, backing up a git repository is essentially trivially and naively done every time you git fetch (naively, because branches may go “poof”). Apparently there’s a git bundle command that produces a single archive file.

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct