Fork of certmgr (bugfixes, improvements) - contributions/ideas appreciated

Running ASP.NET 5 aka vNext on Mono I had to use certmgr to set up environment (trust Nuget certfiicates). This tool was probably good back in the day, but I had a hard time figuring out how what it actually does.

Also there are known bugs which can be taken care of. Given that size of the codebase is small, I think refactoring this tool will be rather quick.

Is community interested in alternative version of certmgr?

The fork can be found on github, in case you want to contribute.

Edit: fixed my midnight writings.

FYI this won’t be necessary anymore with Mono 3.12 as there is a new tool that syncs the system certificate store with Mono’s certificate store on package installation.

You also never needed the certmgr tool to get NuGet (or HTTPS connections in general) to work, despite many examples on the internet. The only thing you need to run on Mono before 3.12 is mozroots --import --sync, which downloads Mozilla’s list of trusted certificates.

Thanks for the info, although I didn’t (and still don’t) see that in Mono 3.12 release notes. Could you give link to that new tool? Would be interesting to look.

Also I thought that Mono certmgr was a replacement for Windows certmgr? It’s purpose is more of certificate management, not just syncing with some store.

Thanks for the info, although I didn’t (and still don’t) see that in Mono 3.12 release notes. Could you give link to that new tool? Would be interesting to look.

I’ve talked with the Xamarin Dev that developed the tool and he said he’ll be doing a blog post about it. I’ll link it here once it’s ready.

Also I thought that Mono certmgr was a replacement for Windows certmgr? It’s purpose is more of certificate management, not just syncing with some store.

Yes, that’s true. I just meant to say that you don’t really need it if all you want is getting HTTPS connections working. Fixing the issues in certmgr is still a good thing to do :slight_smile:

.NET Foundation Website | Blog | Projects | Code of Conduct